Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Dangers of CL

My class just after lunch made me realize that using cooperative groups can pose difficulties as well as benefits (sounds obvious but I often overlook the negatives). The problem was excessive socializing when students and I were supposed to have the floor. I gave a blanket warning to the class and then, when the problem continued, I had them turn their desks to rows to complete the activity alone instead of with help from their teammates. I had them write on their reflection pages about whether they would prefer rows or teams. About 6 students of the 22 said rows while the others prefer groups. My plan is to mix things up a bit more and have some rows, pair work, and larger groups.

Thankfully, my last period class (same course) unruined my day and worked incredibly well together.

I think I will create a group work contract for the kids to sign and will post the guidelines on chart paper in the room.

No comments: