Monday, October 23, 2006

Who Wants to Be a Teacher?

Here's the scenario:

Last period on a Monday, 2P history, I am trying to get some teams going. The students were so unresponsive to just about everything I did I had to laugh. It made me think about that game Who Wants to be a Millionaire, largely because of the lifelines. Here's why:

One lifeline (50/50?) allows you to eliminate 2 of the answers that are causing you trouble or screwing up your thought process. How about being able to "eliminate" 2 students (even briefly) in order to increase chances of success? I had 2 kids were were poison to the who lesson and I felt virtually powerless to do anything about it.

The next lifeline allows you to phone a friend. Again, it would have been great to get a friend in there to either take the class (yeah right!) or offer advice/an objective perspective.

The last lifeline is "ask the audience." I chose a modified version: "lecture the audience." I basically gave them a choice of teams or rows and everyone chose teams. I think I tried a bit too much too fast so I will meet halfway (pairs?).

Anyway, it was a disaster and such a letdown after 2 other classes were awesome with teams earlier in the day. Good challenge, though.

No comments: