Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Monday Follow-up

After reading Monday's exit slips, I realized that many students (if not all) really needed more time with the Vimy Ridge topic. We did a read-aloud and viewed the video clip again (it's only about 7 min), then we returned to the prompts. Students then created their foldables to compare Vimy with one other battle that we studied (their choice of Ypres or the Somme). The 3-door foldable is nice because it essentially creates a venn diagram that they can open and close. I also asked that they draw a simple image on the front of each battle's "door" that would remind them of something unique about the battle. I collected the foldables at the end of class.

The more I use exit slips the more I love them; also, I am also realizing that when we "move on" from a topic because we (the teacher) have talked about it, we often leave many of our students in the dust. The exit slip is a nice way to know when to hit the brakes, reverse and try to pick up those left behind (without necessarily repeating the entire lesson).

No comments: