Saturday, November 18, 2006

2p assignment

I decided to try something a bit different with my 2P history class this week. The text we bought uses a thematic approach, something that is new to me and the kids. I had done lessons that were a mix of teacher and student-centred approaches, but often felt like I was going to slow for some and too fast for others. For this theme, I assembled a package of materials and assigned the performance task at the beginning of the week. The major unit task is to create a time capsule for the 20s and 30s, and the individual task that had to be done this week was to create 5 news headlines that announced actions taken by the government during that time period. I read somewhere that applied students, especially boys, prefer to begin a task with few instructions and take the “I’ll call you when I need you” approach. My class is dominated by boys and figured it was worth a shot.
The goal was to create one headline per day, in addition to completing the assigned materials from the package for that day. The package materials included a Venn diagram, a web diagram, an Examine Both Sides assignment, and some content questions from the text. I spent the week working the room, providing assistance to students who needed it as they worked through the assignment. My reflection is below:

The Cons:
  • Kids getting off task

  • Some kids falling behind

The Pros:
  • More questions asked about the assignment (kids felt safer pulling me aside to ask instead of doing so in front of the class)

  • Opportunity for ongoing formative assessment

  • Able to meet the needs of individuals better

Many students were done by the end of the week. Some had to sign out texts to finish. I preferred the student-centred approach but because it was new to the kids, some didn’t use their time very well (go figure). I think the next theme will be a mix again, but heavier on the student-centred side.

No comments: