Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sad results

I have been marking the Ancient Greece tests that my 11s wrote recently and, to say the least, I am very disappointed in the results. My disappointment is compounded by the fact that 2 out of 3 classes overwhelmingly failed to do the homework I assigned (deep in my heart I knew they wouldn't do it). My biggest issue is that kids complain that they "don't have enough notes to study from" and yet when they are given a reading and some questions to answer or definitions to complete, they don't do them. I can't help but think that we spoonfeed them too much these days, as evidenced by the non-stop photocopying that takes place every day all day all across the board/province/country (including Quebec!)/North America. Note-taking is dead. Just look at a student's notebook. If they are asked to write down anything more than 2 sentences, it is just too overwhelming for them. I guess that is where the authentic performance task comes to the rescue. Using them circumvents the disappointing test results and seemingly meaningless homework checks. I know that the stuff kids learn the best is the stuff they do/create. Okay, I can pick out the error in my recent practice...just have to correct things now. Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Not every problem can be fixed. I truly believe that the kids today are the product of our Canadian system based on the charter of rights and freedoms. Kids know their rights and expect their freedoms but it seems they seldom take the piece that is missing and that is the responsibility. Just me whining I guess.