Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Reflective Writing

Reflective Writing as a Tool to Guide our Teaching

I have really tried to incorporate student reflection in my classes this semester. I read that it really helps students (and teachers) bring closure to a lesson. They get a chance to process what was done that day. My history classes have a History Journal and my Phys. Ed. Class has a Phys. Ed. Journal. I collect them regularly and often write back to the kids.

This reflective writing is also great for doing some informal action research. For example, after completing a jigsaw activity in my American History class, I asked the kids to explain whether they would have preferred that I do a lecture on the same content. Most preferred the group activity, but some really wanted me to tell them everything. Still others wanted some combination of the two. That feedback guided my planning for a subsequent lesson.

The journals can also be used to explore student background knowledge before studying a topic. For example, before studying the characteristics of a good relationship, I had my phys ed students write down “Over 50% of marriages fail,” and then had them individually brainstorm why that number is so high.

Reflection takes time and the kids are often reluctant to do it at first; however, the journals help both the students, an me, process and evaluate classroom practice.

2 comments:

Witty said...

I really like this strategy. I think it has some obvious benefits for the teacher but at the same time it provides students with an opportunity to give feedback on how they are being taught. Even if their ideas are not implemented they at least get an opportunity to speak their mind. Sometimes this is all they need to feel like a part of the learning process.

Richard said...

I like the strategy as well. One problem would be if every teacher was doing it as the kids might see it as overload.